If you've still got a taste for toffee apples from this Halloween and Bonfire Night, then this recipe will do just the trick - Apple, Plum and Cinnamon Cake with Caramel Sauce, made using Belvoir's fruit cordials.
Belvoir Cordials, made in Lincolnshire, are created from fresh ingredients and contain no artificial colours, preservatives or sweeteners. They have some fantastic creative flavours available and, as well as making refreshing drinks, the cordials can be used when baking too. When I received this press release at work, I had to give this recipe a try!
Apple, Plum & Cinnamon Pudding with Caramel Sauce
Serves – 8-10
Preparation time – 10 mins
Bake time – 55 mins – 1hr
For the pudding:
150g unsalted butter, softened
150g unrefined golden caster sugar
2 medium eggs
3 tblspn Belvoir Fruit Farms’ Apple, Plum & Cinnamon cordial
150g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp ground cinnamon
100g pecan nuts, chopped
2 dessert apples, peeled, cored and diced
6 plums, stoned and diced
For the sauce:
200g unrefined golden caster sugar
250ml whipping cream
3 tblspn Belvoir Fruit Farms’ Apple, plum & cinnamon cordial
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas 4. Grease and line an 8” 20cm deep round cake tin with baking parchment.
2. Cream the butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy, then add the beaten egg, cordial and one tablespoon of the flour and mix well.
3. Add the remaining flour, salt, baking powder and cinnamon and mix until evenly combined.
4. Fold in the nuts, apple and plums ensuring they are evenly distributed, then spoon into the prepared baking tin.
5. Place in the oven and bake for 55-1hr minutes or until golden brown and springs back when lightly pressed. Remove from the oven.
6. To make the sauce heat the sugar in a heavy based pan until it melts and becomes caramel, try not to stir. Then set aside to cool slightly.
7. Gently heat the cream in a saucepan then whisk this into the caramel until you get a smooth sauce. Stir in the cordial.
8. To serve cut the pudding into portions and pour over the caramel sauce.
And there you have it, a heart warming apple cake pudding - and it is great with custard too! More recipes, cocktail ideas and the full range of cordials can be found at the Belvoir website.